Whether you are an Orlando retail establishment, commercial office building, or industrial area, you can promote safety and security practices in the office environment.
Here are 17 ways to keep your Orlando business safer in 2017.
1. Dial 911 immediately if you notice suspicious strangers loitering in or near your place of business. Do not approach them yourself.
2. Develop written security policies and an emergency management program, including evacuation procedures.
3. Keep the view in your store clean by not filling windows with multiple displays.
4. Minimize the amount of cash you keep on the premises.
5. Make frequent pick-ups of money from registers and make regular bank deposits.
6. Try not to work alone. The presence of more employees may reduce the incidence of an armed robbery.
7. Install quality locks on doors and windows or invest in an access control system that allows you to quickly update entry/access restrictions over your mobile phone.
8. Invest in a monitored alarm system. Alarm systems are the best defense against property crime and knowing you have a system could be enough to deter criminals.
9. Always use interior and exterior lighting. Lighting may prevent an intruder from concealing his illegal activities. Motion sensor lighting is an inexpensive way to deter crime at your business.
10. Utilize video surveillance. You can also deter criminal activity by simply placing the video surveillance cameras in plain view.
11. Analyze past incidents of crime and violence on the premises, and the immediate surrounding neighborhood, on a regular basis as a means of evaluating the security program
12. Smart sprays and smoke. These deterrents leave a color or ultraviolet sensitive residue that can’t be removed from the robber or shoplifter.
13. Provide adequate illumination in all areas of the building, including hallways, basements, and garages.
14. Advise security personnel to be alert to the presence of suspicious packages or illegally parked or unidentified vehicles, and to bring it to the immediate attention of management.
15. Consider installing security film on lower and first floor windows that face public streets and parking areas.
16. Restrict access to shipping and receiving areas and provide closed-circuit television surveillance.
17. Make sure your Orlando security system provider is reputable. One of the biggest benefits of having a small business security system professionally installed. They are able to identify high risk areas, where you need cameras, and best practices based on your location.
Bonus business security tip: Don’t only point the cameras out. The National Federation of Independent Business indicates annual losses due to employee theft cost U.S. companies $200 billion annually. And more than 60% of small businesses experience employee theft.